Travel Medicine



  Travel Medicine Services 





The Johns Hopkins University Student Health and Wellness Center offers consultations to provide international travelers with the information, medications and most necessary immunizations to help students have an enjoyable and safe trip. The SHWC offers:

  • instruction in how to manage food and water when traveling
  • information on how to prevent malaria and other insect-borne diseases
  • most routine and recommended immunizations
  • referral provided for Rabies, Yellow Fever and Japanese Encephalitis Virus vaccines.
  • prescriptions for malaria prophylaxis and traveler’s diarrhea.
  • the WHO international certificate of vaccination (yellow card) to carry when traveling
  • additional information on international travel resources, travel supplies and equipment and insurance information for travel
  • discussions about HIV risk, safe sex and pregnancy prevention for those concerned

    visit the CDC website                                                        

There is no charge for the clinic visit.  Charges for immunizations and medications are very competitive.  Those with the student health insurance plan may get some preventive immunizations at no cost.

Scheduling an Appointment
                         When:        at least 4-6 weeks prior to your departure
                          Where:      SH&WC @ 410-516-8270
Please be specific as to whether or not you need a study abroad physical or a travel consult.  The study abroad physical medically clears you for your trip and is a different appointment from the travel consult that prepares you for your trip. 
Once you have scheduled your appointment, you must arrive 10 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time to complete the required forms for your visit in the PyraMed Web Portal.  If you have had a travel consult elsewhere and just need immunizations, please let the schedulers know that you only need immunizations.  You must bring the paper work from the travel clinic that specifies what immunizations you need to receive.
Please bring immunization records or a yellow WHO immunization book of prior travel specific immunizations with you and as many specifics as possible regarding your itinerary.  It is very important that we know which area of a given counry you will be visiting and how long you plan to be there.
For additional questions or information, you may contact: 
Lori A. Citti, Ph.D., Director for Study Abroad Email:
Tel:  410-516-6760; Fax: 410-516-7878